Saturday, February 19, 2022

I Paid $2,000 to Play Video Games

I have been playing video games since I was 9. My first ever video game was Halo Reach on the Xbox 360 (the most amazing game and console). My dad and his friends let me play even though I would do nothing and didn't even know how to use a controller. From there, I gravitated towards first-person shooter games (FPS) and occasionally MMORPG.

On my Xbox One, I played Call of Duty Modern Warfare for a very long time until I found out about Valorant which was a PC game that was not available on Xbox. I figured it was time to make the switch since PC offered more games than on Xbox. I saved a lot of money and got all my PC specs, I put all the easy parts in the PC tower myself, and then my Dad did all the wiring.

Once my PC came together, I played League of Legends (for a very long time). Then I moved on to the original goal of buying my PC which was to play Valorant. I don't care what anyone says, Valorant has the biggest learning curve ever, from someone who is used to fast-paced FPS video games like COD and Rainbow Six Seige. The concept of not moving and firing a gun made me really frustrated, so then I would move on to playing Sims 4, Genshin Impact, or League of Legends again.

Recently, an MMORPG called Lost Ark came out and I have been playing that, but then I went back to Valorant again because I am addicted to FPS games (it's in my blood). Yesterday, I busted out $40 on Valorant for the battle pass, a skin for the operator (it's a sniper in Valorant), and a couple other things. I clipped some highlights yesterday night when I was playing with my friend. The clip below was a pretty lucky shot I had in a game. Also, most of the time I am quite lucky when I hit my shots. I am scared to start playing ranked games in Valorant because I know it is a very toxic and competitive environment, when the only thing I am good at is sniping and quick scoping. Another aggravating thing I do is playing a duelist* and staying in the back. I get yelled out most of the time for doing it, but Reyna (a duelist agent) has been my ride or die ever since I started sniping and I love her healing abilities.

I am also doing this blog post to make me feel good about my $40 purchase even though my bank is crying. My bank is crying, my heart is happy, and that's all that matters right.... ha... ha... but at what cost. :''')

*duelist: "Agents that create some of the most impacts, offering aggression to a team comp. A duelist should be expected to seek out engagements and frag."

14 comments:

  1. I never took to first-person shooter games. I mostly played old fighting games from more than 20 years ago :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started back when LAN Parties were a thing playing Halo 2 on the original Xbox, ethernet cables thrown all around the house when running tournaments, good times. I generally play MMORPG's nowadays, but I understand the crave for FPS lol If I could recommend any games, I'd say Counter Strike for FPS and New World for MMORPG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah that's a lot. My youngest legit uses his money on PS4 cards, like what. If I play video games, its Sega Genesis Sonic the hedgehog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could definitely make that money back gaming if you're good enough...some of those competitions these days shell out huge dollar amounts to the winners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing. You should defiantly sign up to win money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire you and all those other gamers out there because I have tried playing video games but I just cannot get the speed and coordination to move my fingers fast enough to keep up with the games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the most I think I will ever learn about video games, thank to you Athina. The video games I know was on the Nintendo way back when super mario was popular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been around people who love video games my whole life but I just never gravitated to them. I do appreciate the detail you put in your blog post, it was informative for someone like me who knows nothing about games.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really awesome! I also play Valorant, League of Legends, and Genshin Impact. I don't really enjoy MMORPGs anymore, because I think they demand too much investment before it gets to the fun part and with how my life is right now, I cannot devote time out of my current schedule to those types of games anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite video games is Psychonauts. It's such a trippy game. It's an older video game, although I heard that Psychonauts 2 came out last year. Hopefully the animations still looks the same because their animation is so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's cool, I play mostly JRPGs like Final Fantasy and most Nintendo games.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I play a lot of video games but was never a fan of fps games especially multiplayer fps you must have a lot of patience and skill to be good at them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a friend who plays competitively. Not sure how much he has spend now that I think about it.

    ReplyDelete